Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Pains....

Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 21:06

I'll try to get a pic posted....

Seeded my Coleus too heavy (in flats)......... Cotyledon stage presently, not sure I can untangle them at first true leaf... Prolly too fragile to pot up...... Should I wait & hope for the best? First time growing Coleus....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Pains....

Pop them out of the container or use a spoon. Gently separate with your fingers. Holding the seedling by its cotyledon, use a pencil or pointy end of a watercolor paintbrush to guide the root into a pre-made hole in soil in an individual cell or other container. Gently press soil against root. Bottom water.

o

• Posted by cugal 5b-6a NE Ks (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 22:37

Thanks susanzone5 for your input! I'll give your method a try! I'm sure I can afford to lose a few...... I've sown two flats & I won't try to estimate how many seedlings I have.... If only half of them survive, I'll still have plenty! LOL

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 23:49

Snipping some off with scissors rather than trying to untangle them an option too when you've sown heavily and have many more germinating than you need. Scissor thinning.

o

I have coleus coming up right now too. They are pretty tiny when they start. I wouldn't try to separate them until I can imagine being able to pick one up by a leaf. Right now mine are way to small for that - or my fingers are to big. Two entire flats - crowded - there must be thousands! I think I planted 50 and thought that was a lot.

o

Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 19:29

Thanks everyone for taking the time to chime in! Yup morz8, I had overlooked "scissor thinning"! With this many seedlings, it might be my only option! LOL

Yeah mandolls, I don't know your age, but I'm old enough to remember my third grade reader, Henry Huggins, having a chapter titled "Gallons Of Guppies".Seems I'm the Henry Huggins of Coleus production..... ;)

o

CUgal, not on this thread, and I can't remember which. you asked about sowing small seeds. Well, I did a bunch of snapdragons yesterday. What I did was sprinkle the seeds on a sheet of white paper, then heavily blow on my finger (for moisture) and then touch the seeds. Then i could disperse them as I wanted, or so I think :)

All the best

SCG

o

Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 19:14

Thanks SouthCountryGuy! That sounds like it would work! Let us know how well they germinate....... My arthritic hands are always looking for new methods to sow those tiny seeds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here