Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikefit

Starting Seeds late Feb-early March

mikefit
11 years ago

I couldn't help myself. I live in DC and just got a new place in Southern Maryland. With all the wooded yard space, I am excited to till the land and get my garden going. I bought a portable Home Depot greenhouse and planted several seeds in jiffy pots (tomatoes -lemon boy, beefsteaks, cherry, etc - Carrots, Onion, Basil, and Brussels Sprouts,

I haven't gardened since i was a teen and had a great garden in PA as a kid. I also have never used a green house. My thinking is to keep the jiffys outside during the day in the greenhouse and then bring the greenhouse inside at night. I'm guessing final frost in south MD is about April 1.

Anyone see problems with my planning here? Am I starting too early?

Any guidance, comments, suggestions are appreciated and welcomed!

Comments (6)

• defrost49
    11 years ago

I'm not familiar with the Home Depot greenhouse but here in NH on a sunny day our plastic covered high tunnel can get up to 90. I figure it's time to be careful about how hot it gets in there. During the night, it gets as cold as outside temps.

Have you considered an indoor light set up with ordinary florescent fixtures? I have mine in a north window but with the lights on a timer, everything did fine last year.

• gjcore
    11 years ago

Maybe slightly early on the tomatoes but they'll be fine if you take care to pot them up as necessary.

Carrots should be directly sown.

How does that work for you bringing the greenhouse indoors? Do you have a link to the product?

• mikefit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses -
    Bringing the greenhouse indoors is easy because it is light. Here is a link to the product:
    http://www.gardenandponddepot.com/199-alpine-4-tier-portable-greenhouse-planter.html

got it at Home Depot for $25 but it's the same thing...)

I started the seeds yesterday in jiffy pots with starter soil. I gave in today after reading other posts and now have a pending order for a flur. light to use...

I've always in the pas waited til 1st week of april and just started all seeds in the ground and let nature do the rest. I am just itching to get started this year, so i did the greenhouse thing. I'm hoping I get away with cutting some corners...

• tanyuu
    11 years ago

I haven't had much experience with vegetables but this time is perfect for flowers, and some vegetables require being started around this time or even earlier. Try the link below and put in your zip code. It'll give you some good dates on when to plant your standard veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Farmer's Almanac Seed Calculator

• art33
    11 years ago

Hi and welcome to GardenWeb!

Just wanted to mention that when you have that greenhouse outside, make sure it is well secured to something. I've read post in the past where the wind has blown them over and dumped the plants all over the patio! That plastic cover will catch a lot of wind.

Art

• amanda_m
    11 years ago

I started my first batch of seeds yesterday: broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, and salad burnet. It's the first time I've started seed inside in several years here in MD. Not sure about southern MD, but I think here around Baltimore, it's the time to start the seeds that need 6-8 weeks.