Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veryzer

the danger of heat registers

veryzer
14 years ago

I've read several peoples' recommendations for placing trays above heating vents as a cheap alternative to heating mats. But....when looking at the back of a Miracle Gro seed starting bag a read a warning to "keep away from heat registers."

So is this a risky practice or what?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I don't know. I never buy anything miracle grow. I don't like their products.

My guess is that they are talking about the bag and not the contents. Some dumb nut must have set the bag on a register and sued and they are covering their butts against lawsuits. Can you imagine what would happen if the bag melted and the contents went down the vent. Peat will burn and it could cause a fire.

If you ever use a heating vent for bottom heat the pots should not be sitting directly on the vent anyway. When I did that I always put a cake rack on the vent to hold my small tray of pots.

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I double checked on the Scott's website. It says that after sowing "keep containers away from direct sunlight and furnace registers."

At any rate, I guess enough people have used vents with success for me not to sweat it.

Thanks.

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

By the way, I didn't mean to imply danger or risk to anything except the seedlings. I think my original post was unclear and misleading.

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

Top of the fridge is a nice alternative heat source... and no worries there =)

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's where I was going to keep them Viking. But I felt the top of my fridge and it's actually cool to the touch. They must be insulating the newer ones more. Maybe I'll put them on top of the compact fluorescent setup on my aquarium.

Thanks.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

veryzer:

"Keep containers out of direct sunlight"?????

If there's danger in that then I think they'd better reformulate their soil composition. Plants are meant to grow in direct sunlight. If I didn't have reason never to use miracle grow--there's one for you--unbelievable!!!

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

I really hate to be a wet blanket here, well no I am enjoying this. I have a MG seed starting potting mix in front of me right now! I see no warnings any where about any heat registers. I do see step 4 "Keep moist and out of direct sunlight" Just a wild guess by me, but I do the same thing until the seeds sprout. That sounds like good advice to me. BTW it does work but I don"t like sphagnum moss products and won't be purchasing more.
    Curt;)

• veryzer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well they either added or did away with that instruction, because that's what #5 says unless my English is becoming suspect.

Like I said, they must have had a change of heart, but I'm not going to worry about it in any case.

Here is a link that might be useful: MG instructions