Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lord_baal

sunroom setup

lord_baal
14 years ago

So here's the situation. I am in zone 5 and have a western facing heated sunroom with three walls that are 95% window with the third wall being the wall of the house. My question is what kinds of things could i get to grow in there during the winter the room seems to be good to even get poinesttas to reflower every year for christmas without any control of the light. I have a bunch of seeds any chance i can get morning glories or moonflowers to work in there? I'm really new at this so if this is a dumb question im sorry

Comments (3)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

No question is dumb : )

As long as your sunroom stays above 60 degrees almost anything will grow in it. The negative is... seedlings will be slower to germinate and become leggy without additional light sources..but they will grow!

I would direct sow morning glories, they don't like to be transplanted and mine (I am in Zone 5 as well) are 5 feet tall by June 15th (I plant my May 10th-ish). FYI if you water or fertilize morning glories they will grow like weeds and produce very few flowers... just ignore them and they will love you. Also, plant them where you don't mind if they 'take-over', next year you will have HUNDREDS of seedlings so beware.

I would plant any seeds you want though, this is the fun of gardening. They will grow, like I said, just maybe a bit slower but a head start is a head start.

Maybe start some in your sunroom and save some for direct sow in May... then compare the plants in June to see if planting inside paid off in the long run.

If you are looking to only plant morning glories and moonflowers in pots year round in your sunroom (and not plant them at all outside in the Spring), they are biannuals so they would die back and hopefully produce seedlings the next season.

I hope that helps.. Happy Gardening : )

Keriann~

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

If you keep your plants low they will get more sunlight than if they are higher The eaves shade the top part of the window. They won't get as much sun as outside or in a greenhouse, but they should do fine. Moving them outside on nice days will help keep them from getting leggy.

I agree with keriann.

Some seeds should be direct sowed into the garden. Morning Glories, Nasturtiums and Sweet Peas are some of them. They can be planted early because a light frost won't kill them. To get them off to a good start Presoak your seeds so the outer cover softens and swells and is ready to pop open. Filling your hole with water and letting it soak into the ground before you plant, ensures that the seeds have enough moisture to grow

• lord_baal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks! sorry about the late reply thought I'd give some feedback on what wound up happening. started many different kinds of morning glories most went outside but some. some of them went in a 10 gallon square pot with teepee like structure i had made out of bamboo poles so far the cardinal climbers have been the most sucessful having at least 2 flowers open any day. Picotee reds and blue have issues with their leaves and have yet to produce any flowers. MoonFlowers have great leaves but have yet to produce buds but they are only about 4 feet long by now and i understand they take a while. Have put them in front of a 10' tall south facing window with two hibiscus trees and they dont seem to be leggy at all.

I am considering doing the same sort of setup with some cypress vines any idea if that could work?