Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First try and stuck

Posted by jduren 5 MO. (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 21:44

I tried these morning glories to see how I would do at seeds and now I have a problem. Now I know why they are considered a weed in some places.

Any suggestions?...Jack
 photo DSC00144_zps34ac1802.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First try and stuck

Do you want to save them? Plant them? If so how long until they can go out? In your zone I'd guess a couple of months?

You can pinch them back so side branches will develop - find a node on the stem about 1-2" above a leaf and snip the stem 1/2-3/4" above the node. They will keep growing and vining and you have to keep pinching new stems back. But they could also use much more light so that they won't be so leggy. Best as I can tell from the pic it looks like you have an internode length of 3+ inches there and it should be no more that 1-1 1/2".

Or you can just rack it up to a lesson learned about starting things too early and toss them to free up the soil and containers for use at the proper time or for something else.

Dave

PS" and yes, most consider them invasive weeds that once they get established in an area are almost impossible to get rid of. ;)

o

Thx Dave. I had to take them from under the lights as I had petunias in the same flat. I just stuck them on a tv tray to continue proper light on other things.

The base stems are around 3mil thick. I assume healthy other than the lack of proper lighting....Jack

o

Just checked the internode, about 1.5 .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here