Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

Are My Seedlings Getting Sick? Indoor Growing - Lots of Pictures

syntria
10 years ago

Hello! I just noticed my Cherkokee Purple seedlings, started about a month ago, are curling and seem to have black spots.

Click for Larger Images.

{{gwi:223073}} {{gwi:223075}} {{gwi:223077}} {{gwi:223078}} {{gwi:223080}} {{gwi:223082}}

If it is some sort of growth, fungus, or dampening off, what can I do? I've had a fan going for most of th eday every day keepign the air moving. I've spaced them out recently too so more air could flow between them because I noticed the 'moss' growth on some of them--though those seem to be doing fin eand there's no growth on the ones with spots.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardening YouTube Channel

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

From what I can see on the pics it is only the plant with the feathery leaves - the one that looks like marijauna :) - that has problems. Looks like spider mites maybe or it has been sprayed with something.

The tiny black spots at the base of the hairs on the tomato leaves are normal on some varieties.

Damping off is a stem disease/issue, not the leaves. And it is pretty hard to get a fungus disease indoors. The most common problems are molds from the environment being too wet, too humid, and pests.

Dave

• gardenfanatic2003
    10 years ago

The one with the white spots looks like it has some sort of pest - probably spider mites since they thrive in a warm, dry environment. You should get a systemic granular pesticide and scratch it into the surface of the soil. And separate that one from the rest of the seedlings, or they'll all get spider mites.

Deanna

• gardenfanatic2003
    10 years ago

And by the way, moss growing on top of the soil doesn't hurt the plants. It's not a fungus.

• Jonathan29
    10 years ago

I would say some sort of pest hard to say might be a fungus problem or spider mites. what i would do just to be safe is try to treat them with an organic all purpose pesticide and some organic all purpose fungicide. if that is not it look into root bound problems over watering problems or bacterial attack. I invite you to join my youtube channel ask me questions and watch my vlog updates and how too's. =)

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden

• syntria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone. The one image that looks like 'pot' is an African Marigold.

I didn't evne think much of those spots, was thinking more about my tomato plants issues.

Upon closer inspection from you guys mentioning it, it does appear it has spidermites of some sort. Close up image included, click for full-res.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuhh7fg4rs4ortt/2014-03-03%2014.51.02.jpg

Thank you. I've isolated the plant, might just give up on the flowers all together since they're wasting growing space and are cheap to buy/and I can seed them directly later instead.

also the original concern was the spots on the cherokee purples which slight leaf curl but seems the spots are normal. :)

Also they are all a bit root bound, need to find a way to pot them up again I guess or do you think they'll be okay for another 2-3 weeks? Maybe another month depending on our weather. I have some half-gal and 1 gal containers, but not enough room for the 50 or so total tomato/pepper plants I have.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Also they are all a bit root bound, need to find a way to pot them up again I guess or do you think they'll be okay for another 2-3 weeks? Maybe another month depending on our weather. I have some half-gal and 1 gal containers, but not enough room for the 50 or so total tomato/pepper plants I have.

That's the problem all of us encounter when we start the plants too early and the weather doesn't cooperate. But they can't remain rootbound. That only stresses them more and risks plant loss from pests or transplant shock.

So some interim solution is usually required. Things like more space/lights or a cold frame they can go into or a low tunnel to protect them, pre-warming your soil and planting them under protection, etc. Some even have to sacrifice some plants for the good of the rest.

I don't know what size pots you are currently using but increasing it even a small amount will be better than doing nothing. What is your normal plant-out date?

Dave