Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need feedback on my seedlings

Posted by WetEars none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 21:57

Hi,

This is my first time growing seeds. My seedlings are curling their cotyledon leaves downwards and appears to have considerable growth decline. I have searched and read a lot but do not know what to make of it. I heard about under/over watering, too much heat, etc. I'm confused.

Photo: http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj610/wetears/IMAG0707.jpg

Seeds: Johnny's
Seedling age: 7 days
Mix: Johnny's seed starting 512 mix
Fertilizer: none 1st 6 days, 3 drops of 10-15-10 diluted in spray bottle 6th day
Dome: used it during first 5 days
Humidity: 80% with dome, 22-40% without (room)
Light: T5 5" away, 24 hours/day first 6 days, 16 hours currently
Soil temperature: 74 with dome, 69 without (infrared thermometer)
Watering:
*no pre-watering of soil prior to sowing
*twice a day afterwards with spray bottle (about 30 sprays)
*on the 3rd day I put some water in the saucer (either evaporated or got sucked up)

The plant on the left is kale, the right is spinach. For some reason the kale soil remains moist and the spinach dries out quickly as can be seen in the photo. The kale was at the end of the grow light, the spinach in the middle between other pots.

The curling began around day 5/6. All of my other plants are starting to roll their leaves downwards as well. What am I doing wrong?

PS: I just broke out laughing... writing all this feels like I'm trying to solve a crime scene... "Where were you at 6pm when the cotyledon started curling?" haha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need feedback on my seedlings

They look good to me, except for the dry soil in the spinach. It sounds like you are not giving either of them enough water, especially if you started with dry soil and have only sprayed. I would suggest continuing to put water in the saucers until they wont soak any more of it up. I would add water to the top of the spinach, not just bottom water it. It looks dry enough that it may be difficult to hydrate the soil. I use a water bottle with a drinking nipple. It makes it very easy to avoid flooding the seedling, since even holding the bottle upside down nothing comes out unless you squeeze it. Spinach like moist soil.

Moving them closer to the lights. 2"-3" is what everyone recommends. At 5" they will get to leggy very soon.

They dont need fertilizer until they have true leaves.

Congrats on your babies - they should be just fine.

o

I agree with mandolls. They look good!

I would bottom water (search on here for lots of advice and tips on that) and get the lights 1-2" away!

Have fun!

Keriann~

o

Thanks guys. I watered them more and after a couple of days they are looking better. The true leaves are starting to come out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here