Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohioveggies

Zone 5 seeders

ohioveggies
14 years ago

Im in ohio and am having a hard time figuring out when to plant some things that can go in before the last frost. I usually plant out things like tomatos and such around mothers day and cover if a rouge frost comes in. Do you use this same date to go backwards when planting out?

Comments (17)

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

I'm a little confused as to what you're asking; are you asking when your last frost date is? Because that generally tends to vary a bit even within the same zone. Mine here in Lawrence, KS is the last week of April. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: last frost dates

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

Well, if you have a seed packet that says (for example), "Start seeds indoors 6-8 weeks before last frost" Then yes, you count back that number of weeks from when you would normally decide it safe to plant out.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I am in 5B and I use Mother's Day as my 'if all else fails' date.

I usually can get plants out the first week of May but yes, you can use Mother's day as your 'last frost' date.

Remember, there are so many 'mico-climates' and it could be give or take a few weeks, but it is a good general rule of thumb to use Mother's Day.

Keriann~

• obrionusa
    14 years ago

I live in zone 5 and have seen frost dates range from
    April 17 -May 15. I opened up my farmers almanac and it said April 25. Tomatoes plus most others are planted two weeks after average last frost, Which would be May 10. Onions, Spinach and cool weather veggies can be planted earlier. I dont know how close you are to East Central Indiana but I use this guidline.
    http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-186.pdf

• ohioveggies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks karri and obrionusa thats more of what I was looking for. I know what the books say our last frost date is but theres no way I am planting out tomatos in mid april in ohio. I just wondered when most people planted out their more cold tolerant items. Its hard to decide when to call your actual last frost date.

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

Yeah, I am planting spinach, chard, and onions. They are cold tolerant, but I'm not sure how cold that means.

Kim

• ohioveggies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

right heirloom!! Thats were I am going with this. I guess I didnt ask the question as clearly as I could have, it was late!

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Ok, so maybe I am still missing the point. Isn't that going to vary based on plant type, more so than region/last frost date? Like, specifically, potatoes let's say. I always plant those out on St Patrick's Day, and would probably do so no matter where I lived, barring really extreme weather regions. Sorry if I'm still not getting what you're asking :)

• ohioveggies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess it all boils down to how much cold do the leeks and onions and spinach like? Can they go through a hard frost or just a span of light frosts and be ok. I am just unsure of how early to plant these things. It seems like nailing down a date is so specific it cant be done, thats why I was hoping others in my area could maybe tell me when they plant their cold crops.

• luke_oh
    14 years ago

ohioveggies, If you live in zone 5 in Ohio, same as me, then you know how unpredictable the seasons can be. For the plants like peas, beets, onions, spinach, etc. I usually wait until the soil is workable and direct sow. You will have plenty of cooler spring weather for these crops. I used to be in a big hurry to get my seeds out, but seems that everything does better if the soil has a chance to warm up. When the weather starts to get too hot for lettuce and spinach I've been using a shade cloth to cover them and they last all summer. I throw in some seed once in awhile to keep it fresh. I don't think that you have to be in a big hurry to get started in the spring.
    Luke

• ohioveggies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks luke, I know I dont have to be in a hurry, but I want to be! ha Im so ready to start, really im just setting up a calendar so that i can keep better organized this year.

• frecklefeet
    14 years ago

OhioVeggies, a good (and free) calendar that I've found is the Spring Garden Planner by Little House in the Suburbs. I apparently can't copy the link here (user error), but just bing or google that title, and you will find an excellent printable book that, if you enter your frost free date and count backwards, you will see what seeds to plant when (I can only find the 2009 version on line....don't worry, that won't effect the planting dates). I have checked the info in this planner with other info on line, and it's right on! I'm just south of Cleveland and, after much research, have determined that my frost free date (which I think means that it only frosts 10% of the time after this date) is 5/18, but I'm using 5/15 cause, like you, I can't wait! Just planted my head lettuce seedlings the other day, and they're coming up perfectly! Good luck, and happy planting! :)

• heirloomjunkie
    14 years ago

I'm getting way too antsy myself. I bought everything for the seedlings/garden months too early, and it's just sitting here, staring at me. It's awful. haha.

I did plant some onions the other day, though. So that made me feel better.

Kim

• ohioveggies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

frecklefeet we are practically neighbors! Wonderful weather we are having! I did sow some things today, it was great I put it on my blog also

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• frecklefeet
    14 years ago

Hi again OhioVeggies! Tried to comment on your blog but I must not be doing something right....just wanted you to know that your pics are inspiring! I'll be back, early and often, to see your progress, and please keep those beautiful pics of your yard coming! :)

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Oh, Ohioveggies, I love your place! If you had a barn and some horses, I would be asking if you needed an adopted daughter! I lived in Cincinnati for a couple of years, and used to go to Columbus every year to show at the Quarter Horse Congress. Anyway, your gardens are awesome!

• ohioveggies
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you guys! I lost one of my chickens yesterday so it wasnt a good day at all. I dont plan on getting any more animals, at least not big ones like horses!