Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrocubes vs peat pellets

Posted by nissy12 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 22:14

Hi,

For years I have used peat pellets and with great success, but now I have got my eyes on hydrocubes. My questions are: Did anyone ever used these before ? Could they work in a same setup as my peat pellets (in a 1020 tray, under lights) or do I need a more "hydroculture" setup ? How do you water these cubes ?

Thanks for all your input !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrocubes vs peat pellets

Are you talking about rock wool cubes? Many brands and "Hydro Cubes" is one brand of them.

If so they are used in hydroponic set ups - either wick or drip or capillary matting set-ups and are watered by whichever hydro system you use. They are not used in soil set-ups.

The water used on them has to have its pH adjusted before use down to 5.5 pH so in that aspect alone they are quite different and more work than peat pellets.

Lights used etc. isn't any different. Size of the cubes varies greatly so how they would compare to peat pellets would depend on which size you used.

But the biggest issue is if you would be transplanting your seedlings to soil then they don't work well. They do not break down in soil when buried and since most of the roots are embedded in the rock wool further root development can be stunted. They are intended to be transplanted to larger hydro cubes and then to blocks and then to slabs.

If peat pellets work for you, stick with them for best results.

Dave

o
RE: Hydrocubes vs peat pellets

Thanks for your reply Dave, the ones I was looking at where called "Oasis Horticubes". But from what you tell me it's a lot different then using soil/peat pellets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here