Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can you put seedlings outside

Posted by novicegardenerevan 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 22:22

At what temperatures can seedlings survive outdoors? Inside my house my seedlings are competing for the all the window sills and fluorescent lights and some get the short end of the stick. Can i put them outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can you put seedlings outside

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 22:35

It depends on which plants (some will tolerate no frost at all) and which Z8 you are in. This Z8 is 35F right now at dinner time and we have 2" snow predicted tomorrow morning.

Do you know your last approximate average frost date? There has been light frost here May 1 more than one year. OK for a hardened off marigold, death to something like impatiens and at very least quite damaging to a tomato.

And anything you have started indoors, even if a cold hardy perennial, will have to be gradually acclimated to the outdoors over a period of several days. For most plants started inside, it's too early/too risky to begin the process, but tell us which plants you are considering....

o

Check your Farmer's Almanac to see when the average last frost date is. Add one week to be "safe." That's what I do & it hasn't failed me yet. :)

o

I move my seedlings outside everyday that the temperature is above 50 and bring them in at night and put them under my fluorescent lights. It is a lot of work but results in stocky, sturdy transplants that are fully hardened off.

o

I am growing purple coneflower, milkweed, annual phlox, zinnias and monarda thanks guys : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here