Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikefit

Growing flowers in a tree stump

mikefit
11 years ago

I have this tall tree stump at my new house at the edge of the driveway - maybe a lightening storm victim...

I want to get a little crazy and put some soil and plant some seeds up top and also in the hole at the bottom - something eye catching. Any ideas?

I was thinking of being a little nutty and putting four o'clocks or fox glove up top....

i was also maybe thinking of doing cucumbers on the bottom and giving them supports to grow up (though critters will likely get the fruits in this area...). Maybe another climbing flowering vine at the bottom? Any funny ideas for me?

Comments (2)

• yiorges-z5il
    11 years ago

1) MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD DRAINAGE 2) WHY NOT ADD PETUNIAS TO THE TOP ALONG WITH THE 4 O-CLOCK...THIS WILL INCREASE THE AREA WITH FLOWERS 3) tHERE ARE MANY COMBINATION THAT WILL DO WELL AT THE BASE...

• noinwi
    11 years ago

I did this with some extra large(about 8" diameter) gateposts one year that were starting to rot in the center on top. Had DH drill some drainholes in from the side and planted nasturtiums. They did well and looked quite nice.