Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeds from Jatropha podagrica

Posted by Pieter1762 Sint Maarten (Dutch (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 22:27

I have about 5-6 seeds, which I kept from approx. 1986-1987 (about 27 to 28 yrs old!). My question is: Is it possible that these seeds can still be planted and a J. podagrica can grow out of it? What do I need to do? Do I need to soak them in warm water first before planting them? I had them covered up and they still feel hard.

(Btw, I never knew it was called the "Buddha Belly" Plant).
I always thought these plants were highly poisonous. I had one in Holland around that time (see above yrs), it bloomed and made seeds......indoors!! (Although my room was pretty cold, no central heating!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeds from Jatropha podagrica

I've grown this plant from seed (fairly easy), but 28-year-old seed might be a little tougher (!).

If there's a hard seed coat that can be nicked/chipped, then soaking seed in warm water for at least 24 hours might be beneficial.

Earlier this winter I germinated some Sesbania tripeti seed from 1999 that way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here