Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tastefullyjulie

Question about hydrogen peroxide

tastefullyjulie
18 years ago

I had some bad damping off going on so I misted with a weak solution of Hydrogen Peroxide which I read about on these forums. The mold is totally gone after less than 8 hours time. Here's the thing. The seedlings look so much better. I swear they grew 1/4 inch in that 8 hours and they are greener and straighter.

Does the peroxide have any other benefit to the seedlings besides killing mold? I'm wondering if I should mist all my trays even if they don't have any fuzz yet.

Comments (10)

• rustiksandkandles
    18 years ago

Hey taste...I never heard of using the peroxide...what was the strength you mixed? I would like to give that a try.
    Dawn

• tastefullyjulie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Dawn,

If you search it here you'll find different people doing it different ways but I started with 3% hydr. peroxide (the basic drugstore kind) and mixed it 1 part to 10 parts water.

• rustiksandkandles
    18 years ago

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

• bloomenhagens
    18 years ago

I know some hydroponic growers use HP to oxygenate their solution tank, perhaps the O2 breathed some life into your seedlings

• flash14756
    18 years ago

Exactly what I was going to say. H2O2 destroys pathogens by smothering them with oxygen. try mixing some cool(not cold) water with some yeast, then add a dab of liquid dishsoap. Then poor in some HP. (make sure you do this in the sink, ckeck the water temp afterwards)

• pickwick
    18 years ago

flash; might I review a referenced,scienific source of your formulation?thank you...

• oldscpmedic
    18 years ago

Hydrogen Peroxide is an oxidant. It does attach to and destroy bacteria and fungi...both the good kind and the bad.

Using the standard 3% that can be bought in the grocery store....use between 30cc and 50cc per gallon which translates to 15cc=tablespoon, and 3tsp = 1 tablespoon.

As a by-product of the breaking down of the hydrogen peroxide molecule, oxgen and hydrogen are released and become what is often called "DO" or dissolved oxygen.

This is the oldest and best trick to cure pythium as the peroxide literally eats the dead root tissue and provides beneficial oxygen to the fresh tissues.

Some will say that it is a disinfectant, which it is but when diluted.....it really works wonders for roots and overall plant vigor. I use it with every other watering on all my plants and often mix it with my non organic fertilizer mixes such as Miracle Grow which is fine for houseplants(IMHO).

• flash14756
    18 years ago

Sorry, I didnt mean to poor the concoction on your plants, it's a demonstration of how it kills fungi.

• tastefullyjulie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oldscpmedic, if I want to keep misting my seedlings with the solution every week or so should I make it more dilute? Right now it is 10 oz water with 1 oz hyd. peroxide. It didn't do any harm but it seems much stronger than what you suggested above.

• pickwick
    18 years ago

flash;I am not questioning the use of hydogen peroxide- rather the broad experimentation of formulations which are generalized without viewing inert ingrediences and rates of application with particular emphasis on the tenuous stage of seedlings, which at this stage of development, are far more sensitive to stresses...