Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I remove cover and heat after germination?

Posted by Namaste4you 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 3, 14 at 23:03

I sowed heliotrope seeds on a windowsill with a heating mat and plastic cover. Now that they have germinated, should I remove the heating mat as well as the cover? It gets down to about 60 degrees in that spot at night. Also, should I remove the cover as soon as I see the tiniest sprout or let get a little bigger? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I remove cover and heat after germination?

Normally, the heat mat and cover should be removed after the seeds have germinated, even if the sprouts are small. In fact, some folks never use the cover at all. If a person can make sure the soil doesn’t dry out, it’s probably actually best not to use a cover.

If the air temperature gets down to 60 degrees at night, the soil temperature will be lower than that. However, I don’t think that would be a problem at all. Are you figuring on leaving the plants on the windowsill, with no other source of light? I doubt they’ll really get enough light that way. If you could move them off of the windowsill and under a fluorescent light set-up of some kind they would be much better off.

Art

o

Thanks Art, I will work on getting a light system!

o

You can get two T8 bulbs and a standalone fixture at lowes/home depot for about 30 dollars total. I've got mine set up infront of a window and the fixture as well on a timer, so its only on during the day so my neighbors don't get mad at me lol. I hope its enough light for them to thrive. (Note the seedlings should be much closure to the light, within an inch or two. The bulbs don't get hot)

o

There’s an interesting older post (see link below) about heat mats. Probably should have included that in my first post.

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Mats

o

Thanks Art and Syntria for the great responses!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here