Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jack Pine (Pinus Banksiana) Seed Propogation

Posted by MikeyLeeG 7A (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 23:08

I bought some Jack Pine seeds and have been trying to research how to germinate them and grow a healthy tree for a future bonsai. I am getting mixed advice. I am fairly sure I need to start by soaking them for 48 hours, then plant them in some peat. I know most seeds need to go through different periods of stratification, but many sites say that the Jack Pine seeds do not need stratification.

If anyone has experience with this particular tree and growing them from seed, and can tell me what to do, I would very much appreciate it.
In fact, as always, any advice from anyone is always helpful.

Thank you so much,

Mikey G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jack Pine (Pinus Banksiana) Seed Propogation

Mike,

A good place to start is Tom Clothiers website:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/

I'm short of time at the moment, but basically if you look in the Tree and Shrub section you should find stratification and germination data for just about every tree and shrub around. The advice there is sound and I have used it many times for growing pine, spruce and fir trees from seed.

One thing I like to do is to soak the seeds in regular hydrogen peroxide for about an hour or two, just to remove any dirt or fungus from the seed coats. After that I change to plain water.

Hope that helps.

TYG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here