Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does one water plants from the bottom?

Posted by longknife 4 Way Upstate NY (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 23:36

I will be using a trays of 6-pack containers (10 total per tray). I haven't started to plant seeds yet, just getting ready. I have read some posts where members said they water from the bottom. Is this the most desireable method of watering? I'm not sure how to do this. How much water do you pour in? Does it stay a while then get dumped out? How often? etc. I was hoping someone can enlighten me as to how this is done properly so I don't make a mess of things. Thanks In Advance, John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does one water plants from the bottom?

To water from the bottom your pots or flats need drainage holes. Then you need a container for the water of a slightly larger size, like another 10/20 with no holes. Then put water in the bottom one and dip the tray with the seedlings into it for a few seconds. You can tell by the heft when it has taken up some water, don't let it sit in the water long.

o

I agree with the above post for the most part.

I do the same method, and I pour in about 1 /2 inch of water and let the seedlings suck up the water for 5-10 minutes. I just wait until the top glistens and then I pull it out and pour the excess water out of the �watering� container.

Only water your seedlings when they are 75% dry. The seedlings will feel very light and you can poke your finger into the soil to check if it is moist. Moist soil sticks to your finger. When in doubt, it is not dry enough. The main thing is not to let your seedlings sit in water for hours or over night.

How often will depend on the above factors. Seedlings will tell you when to water. Some of mine are once a week and some are daily when they get larger.

Just remember to plant your seeds in moist soil to begin with, by mixing it in a bucket with water apposed to bottom watering.

I hope that helps

Keriann~

Have fun!!

o

Thanks all for the info. I have been trying to propagate jades with no luck. I now realize that I was bottom watering incorrectly - letting them constantly sit in a saucer of water.

o

I was able to find a stainless steel sink with large drain area on both sides, that had been removed from a lab. It is large enough to take a whole flat of sixpacs. My bottom heating bench, kept at 70 degrees tends to dry the soil very fast, and while using it I need to be able bottom water frequently. As soon as possible after germination I move off the heat. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here