Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Astilbe seeds not germinated after 3 weeks? (Fungus Gnats!!!???)

Posted by rinomanfroni 8a Dallas TX (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 23:45

I sowed 100 Astilbe seeds three weeks ago, and I can only see 3 ultra small seedlings as of today. I saw Fungus Gnats all around my seedlings of other plants (especially Lobelia and Lisianthus) today and I hurried to buy "Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer for Soil and Turf." I sprayed it all over my entire seedling collection about one hour ago.

Do you think my astilbe sprouting seeds have been eaten by Fungus Gnats and now I am left with only three? If so, I will go buy another packet of seeds and plant them again.

But my hope is that maybe the seeds still have to wait to take some extra time to germinate.

So my main question here is: if you have experience with Astilbe seeds, how long does it take for them to germinate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Astilbe seeds not germinated after 3 weeks? (Fungus Gnats!!!?

Astilbe need light to germinate -- you didn't cover them, did you?

Some are slow -- what variety are you starting?

Sue

o

I am growing Astilbe x arendsii, also known as Astilbe Bella

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 8, 10 at 11:48

Average germination time for astilbe is 21-60 days, any seedlings appearing within that time frame would be considered the norm.

Your Bayer product/imidacloprid was overkill and I hope you didn't mean you sprayed this in an enclosed environment, like indoors. Imidacloprid isn't appropriate treatment for gnats. It's use outdoors is even in question given the possible consequences to bees and pollinators.

A very effective safe for you/your seedlings approach would have been to use BTi - Bacillus thuringiensis israelenis - for fungus gnat and mosquito larvae. But it was too soon to assume fungus gnat larvae were feeding on seedling roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here