Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric Seed starting mats: how warm do they get?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 0:08

I have looked at several offered in catalogs, but none say how warm they really are. I have a really cold house. It�s about 62 at night, 66 max daytime. And some parts are even colder.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric Seed starting mats: how warm do they get?

The electric heat mat raises the temperature to 10-20 degrees over the room temperature. My green house is in my basement where the temperature is 55 to 60. I have seeds sprouting in four days. The question which I have when I should remove them from the heating pad. I am thinkg when they reach 1/4 inch I am not sure.

o

linnea56, I keep my house a lot colder than that, 54 at night or during the day when I'm gone to work, 58 when I'm home, actually now it is down to 56. I thought I might have trouble with peppers germinating but they started coming up in 7 days. I think what helped me is I used a piece of pink rigid foam insulation slightly bigger than the mat, I cut out a section for the plug so that it laid flat. Reviews I read said it helped direct the heat up into the tray instead of warming the surface the mat was sitting on and it seems to have worked well for me.

o

I like to place a thermometer in the tray. I have had a radio shack indoor-outdoor one for years, the one with the electric wire. Depending on what the tray is how the heat is conducted. All ao if the mat is on a metal (like a file cabinet) the heat will be less than on wood or a cardboard insulator. Lots of ways to vary the temp to what you want.

o

Although I am not in the market for a heat mat, I looked around and could not find one with a built in thermostat. Twenty years ago I was able to buy a heating cable including an inline thermostat, much like in your electric blanket, it worked fine for years when I gave it away. I just don't see how without a thermostat to control the temperature, I could use a heat mat. When I needed a bigger bottom heater, I made my own using a rain gutter defrost cable 300 watt heating an aluminum 10 guage sheet 3x6 feet. A separate adjustable thermostat was added, but is seldom set for more than 70 degrees. My bottom heater is in my unheated greenhouse which in the winter varies in temperature from 45 to 70 degrees. When the air temperature is over 60 degrees no additional heat is detectable from the bottom heater. Al

o

Thanks! I was thinking about what to put underneath it, too. I save all those sheets of Styrofoam that come with a shipped box, I was thinking about using those.

Is there is list somewhere that says what temperature various seeds like to be at? It's been a long time since I've started from seed. I'd like to start caladium bulbs to get a head start, and mostly flower seeds. 80-90 degrees would be great for caladiums.

o

I found this site helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell growing guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here