Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honnat

Better luck than I planned

honnat
12 years ago

So, as a rookie indoor seed starter I was persuaded by the web sites with huge varities of flowers and started a few of everything. Now, it's getting to be decision time because my germination rates were far greater than I anticipated and I have limited space under my 4 ft. lights.

They are in soiless 12 packs and I'd like to begin re-potting them into larger containers. I just need some help deciding which ones to put in the larger containers (3 1/2 inch) and which to put in smaller (2 1/2 inch). My 3 1/2 inch pots are pretty nice and deep so they should have some room to grow. The 2 1/2 inch pots are shallow - so not much room for vigorous roots. In short - which are going to vigorously grow and quickly out grow a little pot and which will be ok in a small pot until I plant out. Typically planting is not 100% safe here for about 6 more weeks; but with the warm winter we have had I might be able to push that up by a week to 10 days.

The varities that have germinated are:

*Gerbera Daisy

*Cape Daisy

*Petunia (trailing)

*Echinacea (hybrids from Ebay - After Midnight and Now Cheesier - yes I know they may not come true - I'm just happy to have something close)

*Gaillardia (TOKAJER)

*Lobelia (Queen Victoria)- germinated about 15 days ago and they are still TINY. Are they going to take off?

*agastache

*Delphinium grandiflorum (summer clouds)

Any experience with these?

Comments (2)