Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Week 2 of it's growth and no ID

Posted by CWatson89 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 0:40

I posted this about 1 week or so ago in the rose forum because I thought the seedling on the right in the pic was a rose seedling when it was still just coming out of the soil. I still have yet to identify it. The soil in the container I bought at lowes and the only thing I've veer grown in it is the mini rose bush and it has been that way since christmas. But one day I looked in the container and there was a random sprout. The container has never been outside, I never open my window, and I never handle seeds near the container ever. Any idea what it is? When it sprouted it had 4 leaves, now it has what to me looks like pepper leaves coming from the center but I cannot identify this with any pepper seedling image online.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Week 2 of it's growth and no ID

It could easily be a weed. The only way you are ever going to know is to let it grow to maturity and/or bloom. Even then It may still be just a guess.

Seeds can come in potting mix, carried in on clothes, tools, hands, etc.

So it boils down to do you want it or not? If so let it grow and eventually you might know what it is. If not, pitch it and don't worry about it.

Dave

o

I'm starting to think it's a weed because it's growing wayyyy to fast.

o

That is definitely a coco plant that is used for the production of cocaine. I would let it grow and reap the rewards :) LOL!

o

If thats what it was I would sell it to some crackhead down the street for $10 just to get rid of it haha

o

Can you take a picture showing the front of the seedling rather than the side? We can't see the shape of the true leaves or the vein pattern.

o

here you go. I think it's a weed of some sort but I'm still not sure.

o

I'm thinking possibly a morning glory of some kind.

o

Most of my containers are on a drip system outside, and I get all kinds of things growing in them!

I have wine grape seedlings in 2, a fig seedling in one, and many weed seedlings! I grow figs and wine grapes and know the leaf patterns.

I just pull the weeds once i figure out what they are.

Good luck and I hope you have a real plant there!

Suzi

o

Look at the attached link. As flora UK says, "possibly a morning glory of some kind".

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton Morningglory: Ipomoea cordatotriloba

This post was edited by bugbite on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 22:08

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here