Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Advice on planting in the desert.

Posted by eugenflorinsgarden 8A (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 0:42

About a week ago I decided to start planting some seeds. These seeds were planted in garden soil. All of my seeds were planted in pots, and that's we're I decided to keep them. Now, I just learned that potting soil lets go of water easier than grdening soil. The soil I used was organic.
Anyway, within three days, they sprouted. I'm just curious of they will do well in gardening soil. I live in the desert where it gets hot and dry if it matters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Advice on planting in the desert.

The trouble with garden soil is that it may harbor pests or diseases. If you can bypass that and your soil drains well they should be ok. Only time will tell.

o

As dowlinggram said, only time will tell now. But personally, if they survive then as soon as they are big enough to be transplanted, I would remove them, replace the garden soil with a good potting mix, and replace them.

As you have discovered only soil-less potting mix should be used in containers - for many reasons. So to give them the best chance of survival consider transplanting them.

And let us know exactly what you planted? Some plants, namely herbs and some flowers will do ok in the dirt. Vegetables and most other flowering plants, not.

Be sure to check out the Container gardening forum here for much more relevant information on container gardening.

Dave

o

And, if you garden in the desert, check out the Arizona forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here