Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

Best Grass Seed for quickly growing from scratch?

lee676
13 years ago

The grass around my home has been ravaged by weather and too much foot traffic over the last few years. Now, there are several sections where the grass is spotty, and one fairly large area that is mostly dirt (loose dirt, mostly w/o fertilizer or starter, but not "clay"). Big problem has been flooding, so I need to cut an irrigation duct that will channel water away from my lawn (it's surrounded by a hill that drains all over my backyard).

Once accomplished, what type of grass should I grow? I'm near Washington, DC. I want it to grow quickly. I want it to be inexpensive. Most areas get good sunlight (including the barren section), but one smaller area (one of several with several pockets of growth with some bare spots)is mostly in the shade. I'm considering an inexpensive bag of "contractor's mix" seed which grows fast, although there must be a down side if only contractors would want to use it.

I also would like a guide as to how much to use, for people who doen't own or want to buy a seeding tool just for one use. What does "8" on a Scotts Deluxe Spreader correspond to in terms of seeds per square inch?

Thanks