Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alpine Strawberry Seeds

Posted by BigN_187 9 (nfinite4588@gmail.com) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 1:46

I recently planted some Alpine Strawberry seeds. The seedlings seem to be coming along fine, and they're starting to get their first true leaves. I was mainly wondering if I can expect fruits in this first season, but I'd like whatever info you have on them besides that as well such as light and water requirements, how to keep them alive over the winter since they are perennial, etc. thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alpine Strawberry Seeds

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 16:50

I have only one Alpine strawberry that I started from seed and it's going into it's 3rd year. Mine did produce fruit the first year from about July. Last year it produced plenty of small super sweet berries unfortunately slugs ruined many of them. Mine is in full sun and prefers LOTS of water. I haven't done anything special in the winter.

o

That's good to know! I think I may have sowed my seeds a tad bit late, but we'll see how it pans out.

You're in zone 5? So the winters here in 9 would be less severe than there, but I'm wondering about the summers. Anyway, regardless of the details, here in 9, should i plant in containers or the ground?

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 19:35

Given an option I would definitely plant in the ground. Even planted in the ground I was needing to hand water, in addition to the irrigation system, once or twice per week. But the summers are hot here and humidity levels are often around 10% in the summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here