Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollyhock, cleome, statice seeds not germinating

Posted by chom (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 1:47

Hi, I have tried sowing Hollyhock, cleome, statice some 5-6 times, but not a single seed sprouted. The seeds came from different places. I have tried using normal soil mixed with some organic manure, I have also tried seed starter pellets from carlsbad flower fields, california. But none came.
The temperature in my region ranges from 68 F to 100 F.

What am I doing wrong? Can you suggest me some flowers which I can grow in this temperature?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollyhock, cleome, statice seeds not germinating

All these plants could use chilling before planting. Hollyhock germinates at low temperatures--around 60 degrees. Too much heat and it won't germinate.

That having been said maybe you are giving them too much water. You want your soil to be moist but not sopping wet.

There are many flowers that thrive at those temperatures. Check and read what it says on the seed packages. If you are buying plants read the label.

o

Hi! First I want to tell you that I think 100* is way too hot for germinating, it could probably could have killed off your seeds if it got that hot. I have cleome, but it always reseeds itself in my garden, I have never grown it from seed on my own. From what I have read about it, it likes to be stratified (put in fridge) for 5-7 days and then germinate at 70*-80* day temp and 60*-65* night temp. It should take about 10 days for emergence. When you sow the seeds make sure you just cover them very lightly, do not bury them deep!

Hollyhock and Statice I do grow from seed. The Hollyhock like temperatures in the 60*-68* range for germination, which should take about two weeks.
Statice like 70*-75* temps for germination, happening in about a week. Cover them very lightly also, do not bury them deep!

Another question i have is, how old are these seeds? Do you try new ones every year with no luck? If they are old, or even the same seeds you have tried over and over, they may not be viable.

Best of Luck!
Sarah

o

I think they meant their outside temperatures range from 68-100, not that they were attempting to germinate at those temps. :)

o

Oh, duh! LOL

o

I grew hollyhock last year with great success. Be patient, but once they are up, the are easy to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here