Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers from seed: Hints, Tricks, Etc.

Posted by tn_veggie_gardner 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 2:59

After many seed swaps, this is what i've decided to grow this year. My final list of flowers for 2010. My first year really growing more than 1 flower. Let me know what y'all think & if you have any hints, tricks, potting medium preferred, fertilizer or other info which would help me get great germination, some nice seedlings, then hopefully some beautiful plants! =) Also, if any prefer containers, that'd be awesome since I'd rather grow them in some.

Short Blue Balloon Flower
Dwarf Cornflower - mixed colors
Blanketflower Arizona
Blackberry Lily
White Datura
Red Texas Star Hibiscus
Black Eyed Susans
Pink Cornflower

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers from seed: Hints, Tricks, Etc.

From your list, I have only grown Balloon Flower from seed. I had collected seed from a plant I bought a couple years ago, and they germinate very easily. They need light to germinate, so make sure you just press them lightly in the soil, and be careful not to cover them with soil.

For grow mix, I prefer to use PRO-MIX BX. I buy the big bales from my local garden center for like 30 bucks, and depending on how much you use, it can last a while!

For container, I use the little "six-packs" or cell packs to start my seeds off. Then, if they need to be transplanted I use old 3inch pots or yogurt containers. I have also heard you can use old egg containers to start seeds, which I am going to try later on(since I have a ton and our egg farmer can't reuse them for "health reasons", I guess its a violation of the health code or something) for things like pumpkins, gourds and cucumbers.

For fertilizer, I just use Miracle Gro, 20-20-20 or Bloom Booster depending on time. I usually start a half strength solution once a week after the second set of true leaves appear, then after I plant them out I up the solution to full strength and fertilize every other week.

I have had luck with the Datura and Black-eyed Susan reseeding on their own in my garden, so they may need a cold treatment before germination?

Good Luck and Happy Growing!
Sarah

o

Thanks for the info, Sarah! I haven't had many responses. Yours definitely helps, but i'll still probably read up on them today to get my facts straight. =) I'll prob make myself a little cheat sheet of sorts for them since i've never grown any of them before.

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

o

I would have started all of those 6-8 weeks ago.

You may want to try wintersowing or direct sowing.

Successful supplies:

Sterile potting soil and/or seed starting mix.
Well vented growing area
Lights
containers
trays to catch water when bottom watering
plant ID labels/tags
fertilizer
and enough room to keep your plants happy without crowding them.

Keriann~

Many, many, many hints and advice in all of your plants here in this forum. Search each one to find more specific answers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here