Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

Flowers from seed: Hints, Tricks, Etc.

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

After many seed swaps, this is what i've decided to grow this year. My final list of flowers for 2010. My first year really growing more than 1 flower. Let me know what y'all think & if you have any hints, tricks, potting medium preferred, fertilizer or other info which would help me get great germination, some nice seedlings, then hopefully some beautiful plants! =) Also, if any prefer containers, that'd be awesome since I'd rather grow them in some.

Short Blue Balloon Flower

Dwarf Cornflower - mixed colors

Blanketflower Arizona

Blackberry Lily

White Datura

Red Texas Star Hibiscus

Black Eyed Susans

Pink Cornflower

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

Comments (3)

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

From your list, I have only grown Balloon Flower from seed. I had collected seed from a plant I bought a couple years ago, and they germinate very easily. They need light to germinate, so make sure you just press them lightly in the soil, and be careful not to cover them with soil.

For grow mix, I prefer to use PRO-MIX BX. I buy the big bales from my local garden center for like 30 bucks, and depending on how much you use, it can last a while!

For container, I use the little "six-packs" or cell packs to start my seeds off. Then, if they need to be transplanted I use old 3inch pots or yogurt containers. I have also heard you can use old egg containers to start seeds, which I am going to try later on(since I have a ton and our egg farmer can't reuse them for "health reasons", I guess its a violation of the health code or something) for things like pumpkins, gourds and cucumbers.

For fertilizer, I just use Miracle Gro, 20-20-20 or Bloom Booster depending on time. I usually start a half strength solution once a week after the second set of true leaves appear, then after I plant them out I up the solution to full strength and fertilize every other week.

I have had luck with the Datura and Black-eyed Susan reseeding on their own in my garden, so they may need a cold treatment before germination?

Good Luck and Happy Growing!
    Sarah

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, Sarah! I haven't had many responses. Yours definitely helps, but i'll still probably read up on them today to get my facts straight. =) I'll prob make myself a little cheat sheet of sorts for them since i've never grown any of them before.

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve's Garden

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I would have started all of those 6-8 weeks ago.

You may want to try wintersowing or direct sowing.

Successful supplies:

Sterile potting soil and/or seed starting mix.
    Well vented growing area
    Lights
    containers
    trays to catch water when bottom watering
    plant ID labels/tags
    fertilizer
    and enough room to keep your plants happy without crowding them.

Keriann~

Many, many, many hints and advice in all of your plants here in this forum. Search each one to find more specific answers.