Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinca seedlings

Posted by patreesh 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 6:55

Anyone have pictures of vinca seedlings? I started mine last week. Put them on heat mat and covered the tray with newspaper so the seeds would germinate in darkness. Some have sprouted but I've never seen anything so frail looking. Look like long thin white threads leaning over. What did I do wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinca seedlings

You coverd them with newspaper so the stems/leaves have never seen the light of day.

A lot of people confused the word covered when it comes to sowing seeds. 99% of the time it is meant you cover the seeds with soil, not cover the seeds with newspaper or a box or something. This is so as soon as it germinates, the seed will break through the soil and have light.

I would start a new batch of seeds or get your seeds very close to lights, like 1-3" away and maybe there are a few that havent germinated so they will come up in light, not dark.

I hope that helps, bummer they dont look very good!

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here