Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flshimmer_gw

Columbine

flshimmer
14 years ago

Does anyone have experience with growing Columbine? I was thinking of starting indoors with lights. I could use some feedback.

When is a good time to get it started?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

SEED TAKES 14-30 DAYS TO GERMINATE & TAKES 15-18 WEEKS TO BE SET OUT GREEN

• flshimmer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. That takes a long time! I'll get started right away.

I can assume that they will not bloom this year, correct?

• sleepy33
    14 years ago

Most will not bloom the first year. I think they are one you might want to plant out in the fall, for bloom the following spring, but not 100% sure on that.

• sixoaks
    14 years ago

I have tried Columbine a number of times with about 30% germination success. I have recently read that Columbine needs stratification (chilling) for about 3 weeks prior to planting. If you have collected seeds that have gone through the winter outside I would think this is unnecessary. I am going to try the chilling process. Good luck!

• flshimmer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I purchased these seeds.

I would have imagined that perhaps the growers would have let them go through this process since the package did not come with instructions to do so.

I planted a flat these up last night so I will watch them to see what happens in the next 30 days or so.

• sarahbarah27
    14 years ago

DO NOT COVER SEED! These seeds NEED light to germinate, oh I hope you didn't cover them with soil! They are very slow to germinate, and when they do it is very uneven, meaning that it could be days or weeks between when each seed actually germinates. Be patient, they are worth the wait. And once you have them in your garden many of them will reseed nicely.

Good Luck
    Sarah

• GawdinFever
    14 years ago

I always winter sow them. They ALWAYS come up! They do take awhile o germinate, but they are worth the wait! ;)

• ruthz
    14 years ago

I winter sowed one in a plastic milk jug around the 1st of January. This one has sprouts.
    I sowed three in cow pots, put inside a plastic bag and refrigerated for 3 weeks. They have been out of fridge and outside for about a month. One has sprouts and two doesn't.
    These are all different kinds.
    I ordered more seed last week. Since it isn't really cold outside anymore, I guess I'll try the fridge method with these when I get the seeds.

• flshimmer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far I have had great germination success. Thanks for all your help!