Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
distance from seedlings to shop lights?

Posted by spinachqueen z6NC (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 8:14

My seeds are starting to sprout and I'm planning to place them under 4 ft. shop lights today. How close to the lights do the seedlings need to be.
Thanks.
Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: distance from seedlings to shop lights?

1/2-2" away... as close as you can get them.

They don't get hot so, they can even touch them.

Keriann~

o

I always read that plants should be that close, but I only do so with the smaller lights. My indoor starts seem to grow at a good rate without getting leggy, so there's no harm in increasing the distance to 12" or more under the big light if it's more convenient.

o

so there's no harm in increasing the distance to 12" or more under the big light if it's more convenient.

Sorry but I would have to disagree strongly with that. There is just too much evidence to the contrary.

As keriann said, the closer the better when using fluorescent shop lights. Now halides or some other form of light is quite different and growing temperatures as well as the amount of lumens provided must be considered too. But the standard recommendation for using shop lights is "close as possible and no more than 2 inches".

Dave

o

Ditto what Dave said. At 12", the standard shop light simply will not deliver enough lux or foot candles of light to the seedling to keep it from stretching under normal growing conditions. Keep the temps <55, don't add any nuits, water only when they are really dry - then it's possible, though they will grow very slowly.

Mike

o

I have to disagree with keriann. You do not want the lights touching your plants for more than a couple of hours. It will desiccate the leaves. I find that 2-3 inches is about as good as it gets seeing though it is under 2 lights instead of 1 when under dual tube fixtures. Also it's hard to keep temps under 55 when a 90 degree or higher light is on top of you.

o

Ah yes Taz...

I forget that I have cooler temps and a fan going. Maybe not the best idea the seedlings are in warm temps to begin with.

Good point

Keriann~

o

With common shop lights my experience was that I found them best as close as possible without touching.

On some I even devised a pulley hoist to lift the lights when I wanted to work with the pants or when the plants got tall enough to touch the fluorescent tubes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here