Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Seeds Outdoor in a Cold Frame

Posted by browndd1 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 8:49

I would like to start some seeds outdoor in my newly built cold frame and I have never done this before. The cold frame has a heater, heat mat and fan installed in it. Once the seeds emerge and I take the dome off of the flat is it necessary to keep the heat mat going on the transplats at their temperature range or do I turn it off and just control the temperature of the cold frame?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Seeds Outdoor in a Cold Frame

browndd1 welcome to the GardenWeb. To give the best advice it is important to know where you garden. Most of us put the zone right with your name. Al

o

Zone 6b Calistoga

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 20:40

2 heaters and a fan sounds a bit overboard to me. Shouldn't need a fan at all. I use some heat in my coldframes but only during very cold nights.

What is it that you are trying to germinate?

o

I only have one heater in my cold frame and it is a 150 watt element with no fan. The reason I installed a small fan in the cold frame was to distribute the heat and get even temps throughout the cold frame. I st?arted the lettuce and spinach in the house and kept the temps 70f. Therefore, since they were only two weeks old or so, I figured I needed to keep them around 60-70f. What do you think

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here