Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ohio Buckeye

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 9:01

I would like to start some from seed. I searched and found that someone started some in damp peat moss, put them in a baggie and then refrigerated til she saw germination. Since she potted them up tho, all have died. I was wondering if anyone else knew how to start them and had success? We have a yellow Buckeye which has lots of flowers but I have never found any acorns. Does anyone know if this is a sterile variety or does it have to reach a certain age before it gets the acorns? Mine is about 8 years old. Any advice? Thanks. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ohio Buckeye

A couple of questions - do you want to grow Ohio Buckeye (Aesculus glabra) or Yellow Buckeye (Aesculus flava)? It's not really clear from your post but whichever it is you will want to make sure you get the right seed.
Secondly the fruit are nuts rather than acorns, which is the term for the seed of oak trees. I have not grown either of these but I have grown Aesculus hippocastanum (common horse chestnut). Basically you just need to gather fresh ripe nuts ('conkers') in the autumn and plant in a pot of any standard potting compost. Don't open the outer shell - wait until it splits naturally when the nuts are fully ripe and fall from the tree. After sowing leave them outdoors over the winter protected from rodents and most will sprout in the spring. Any seed you obtain now (in March) will be beginning to get stale but may be worth a try. In zone 5 I see no point in fiddling about with peat and fridges. It seems like an unneccessary extra step. I'd just sow them as soon as you get them and put them outdoors.

I don't know why your tree flowers but does not bear fruit. You might try posting this question on the Trees forum where there are some people who will be able to help you further.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 14:24

Thanks Flora. The tree we have is the Yellow Buckeye. We seem to be the only ones around here with a Buckeye. I'll try your recommendations. There may have been some nuts, we have a few greedy squirrels here, and they might have beaten me to them. I'll have to get out there faster next year to try and get some. Marg

o

Marg - if you have squirrels it might be worth having a good hunt around for baby trees. They often 'plant' the nuts for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here