Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
move seedlings to coldframe?

Posted by gardenerwannabe6 ok (6/7) (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 9:09

I sowed lettuce seeds 5 days go and they're coming up nicely. They're under lights currently. I'm wondering when I could put them in the coldframe outside? The nighttime lows are mid 40's to 50's. I'm wondering if this would be too much of a shock while they're still so young or is it safe to go ahead and put them out?
Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: move seedlings to coldframe?

I would need to know more about your coldframe. Does it have a automatic vent system to open when the sun raises the temperature from 50 to 90? The 50 degrees night time temperatures would not be a problem for your lettuce, but I think I would wait until the seedlings were at least an inch or so high. Al

o
RE: move seedlings to coldframe?

What are your temps outside right now? It may be better off just getting them in the ground instead of in a cold frame. I would worry about you cooking them in the coldframe like Al had said.

Lettuce love 40-60* I think it will be too hot during the day unless you prop open your cold frame or just set them in the ground.

I would harden them off ASAP and get them outside. Al's way would work too, after 1" of growth, I just think lettuce tastes so much better when outside in the chilly air!

Keriann~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here