Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to promote root growth.

Posted by roseosharon (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 9:09

Hello everyone. I would like suggestions on what to use to promote root growth in my seedlings. This is my 3rd year to start plants for my vegetable garden, my plants look healthy till we go to transplant them, they will have tiny, hairy, roots, and have a hard time adjusting even though we've harden them off. Is there an ingredient I am missing in my dirt mix that would help with root growth? Thank you for helping. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to promote root growth.

Do you bottom water?

What are you growing?

Keriann~

o

Yes. I start watering from the bottom as soon as my plants get their true leaves. I start cabbage, tomatoes, peppers, and melons. I have the most trouble with the cabbages have small roots. The tomatoes seem to depend on which variety I've started. Thanks

o

hmmm.. that is odd.

Cabbage do have smaller roots and a smaller root system.. any overall, most plants will sit and pout for a bit after transplanting..

How large are your plants when you transplant them? Maybe they are too big? or root bound?

YOur problem does not seem abnormal though, must plants take a little time out after a transplant...

hmmm

Keriann~

o

You should figure about two weeks of growing will be lost at each transplant. If you were a little more specific about your routine we might be able to suggest a change or two. Are you starting your seeds in a flat and transplanting into what size container? For what you are growing, I start in cells and then transplant into four inch pots when the cells are rooted well enough to hold the soil when removed from the pot. I prefer to plant in the garden from four inch pots. If transplanting is done at the best time, there will be very little stress on the plant. I don't like to transplant and change the environment at the same time, as this requires the plant except two changes at once. Al

o

Here in Oklahoma I have found we have better, long lasting plants if we plant seeds direct. Our early spring weather is up and down until first of April which is really hard on transplants. We now use plastic to warm our rows which allows planting a little earlier. Now we do not have to deal with leggy plants, small roots, hardening off. Plants seem to be able to handle the the various type of weather better. They have a better root spread, and seem to produce more and better veggies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here