Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
angelonia not germinating

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 9:40

All of my petunias germinated nicely but out of the four 6-pack cells of Angelonia (4 varieties), only 1 in 24 cells germinated. All I did was press the seeds gently in the soil per the instructions and put them under lights (the instructions said that light aids germination).

Am I not suppose to germinated these under a heat mat set to 80F? Or do they just take longer to germinate than my other annuals? I started them on Feb 22 (19 days ago). My current basement ambient air temp range is 62F-66F.

Other annuals/perennials that have successully germinated under the same exact conditions in my basement are Verbana, Agastache, Viola, and Osteospermum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: angelonia not germinating

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 10:51

80F might be a little warm for angelonia, I suppose it could delay germination. When the sowing suggestion says 'light', that is more of a suggestion referring to sowing depth, whether to cover with soil or other medium or sow on the surface. It doesn't mean the seed trays need the hours of light as would be required by seedlings which has the disadvantage of the soil/medium surface quickly - thus the seed - drying out. Put your flats under artificial light after germination, just a very few hours of light of some kind during the day is enough prior to the seeds sprouting. One plantsman said in a class I took several years back even a few hours of light once the seed is moistened not continuous light or even daily (meaning moist long enough water has breached the seed coat) can be enough for some species.

"Sow seed indoors at 70 to 75 F. Use low light until the seeds germinate in seven to 14 days and then bright light for the seedlings"

o

How do I create low light in a dark cellar? Perhaps I could raise the ratchet carabiners on my lights so instead of being inches from the flat, maybe 2-3 feet from the flat?

What could be said for the seeds themselves (since I depleted my suppy). Are they ruined? Or still waiting for the right germination conditions?

o

The assumption is that you purchased the seed, it wasn't collected? You could have just received bad seed. The other thing that comes to mind is that you "cooked" the seed, or the seed dried out after it imbibed water, then died.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here