Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rkslander

Start romaine from seed indoors for outdoor growing

rkslander
11 years ago

I usually buy my lettuce starts from the local garden center, but this year I would like to grow my own from seed. I live in zone 8. When should I start my seeds inside for spring plant-out? I usually put my peppers and such outside last week of may, and lettuce about week before that.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (4)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I find a fortnight ahead of planting out is plenty. Plus four to five days for hardening off. So roughly 3 weeks altogether from sowing to transplanting outside. I grow in small pinches in modules and do not pot on. No heat and no lights. (I grow them in a glass porch). Lettuce tolerates pulling apart of several seedlings from a clump. I don't mind if some get a better start than others because I don't want them all ready at once anyway.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Good info from Flora. I'm a bit surprised that you are planting out so late in your zone 8 though. That is almost a month after my plant-out in my zone. Are you at a high altitude? When is your last frost date?

And the leafy greens can almost always go out weeks before tomatoes and peppers do.

Dave

• rkslander
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm only at 450 feet. Last frost average in my area is May 10. I am going to try and put out lettuce earlier this year.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Last frost average in my area is May 10.

How weird. The last frost date for most of zone 8 is March 15th. Mine is April 15th and that is at 1000' elevation.

Granted those are just averages but I wonder why yours is so late? You might want to investigate that more with your local county ag extension office. Many state extension websites offer specific locale LFDs.

Dave