Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Start romaine from seed indoors for outdoor growing

Posted by rkslander none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 9:41

I usually buy my lettuce starts from the local garden center, but this year I would like to grow my own from seed. I live in zone 8. When should I start my seeds inside for spring plant-out? I usually put my peppers and such outside last week of may, and lettuce about week before that.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Start romaine from seed indoors for outdoor growing

I find a fortnight ahead of planting out is plenty. Plus four to five days for hardening off. So roughly 3 weeks altogether from sowing to transplanting outside. I grow in small pinches in modules and do not pot on. No heat and no lights. (I grow them in a glass porch). Lettuce tolerates pulling apart of several seedlings from a clump. I don't mind if some get a better start than others because I don't want them all ready at once anyway.

o

Good info from Flora. I'm a bit surprised that you are planting out so late in your zone 8 though. That is almost a month after my plant-out in my zone. Are you at a high altitude? When is your last frost date?

And the leafy greens can almost always go out weeks before tomatoes and peppers do.

Dave

o

I'm only at 450 feet. Last frost average in my area is May 10. I am going to try and put out lettuce earlier this year.

o

Last frost average in my area is May 10.

How weird. The last frost date for most of zone 8 is March 15th. Mine is April 15th and that is at 1000' elevation.

Granted those are just averages but I wonder why yours is so late? You might want to investigate that more with your local county ag extension office. Many state extension websites offer specific locale LFDs.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here