Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adknorth

Seeds Outside in Cooler Weather?

adknorth
14 years ago

Hi Gardeners,

My seed starts are going nicely (after a rather nervous start - LOL). We had a week of super sunny weather, and now we're paying for it. It's dark. I'm using a South/Southwest facing window - lights aren't really an option, because it's so small in here. Starts were going beautifully, but now ... no sun. They're starting to get a little long-in-the-tooth for my taste. Did some reading, and I was wondering about the following potential fixes.

No second leaves yet - they're still young. Everything from cold hardy veg to warm veg and corn to flowers. Nothing is falling over yet. But they may be on their way - this is the third day of no sun.

1. We're in the high 30F to mid 40F range with this dark spell. Okay to put them outside daytime? I was thinking they'd get at least a little more light.

2. Keep them cooler? I read that they shouldn't be too warm, and the rate of growing might slow down if they're cooler. Maybe another reason to put them outside daytime?

3. If they continue to shoot up, what do you think of repotting to the first set of leaves? I've read conflicting things here on the forum about that. Some folks say you can re-pot anything up to the first leaves, others say only tomatoes and specific things.

Comments (2)