Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil blocks-ABC's and recipes

Posted by Cash321 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 9:51

I would appreciate any guidance from fellow gardeners on the use of seed blocks. I have read the older trails on peat pots. And would like to make my own blocks as peat pots appear to be the scourge of seed starting!
I bought a metal, medium 4 block maker and request recipes for successful soil mixtures. I live in East Kingston, NH in zone 5 and have installed the first 3 of 6 planned raised beds filled with super soil /compost mix from a local landscapers supply depot.
Thank you in advance for any tips or guidance.
P.S. if anyone has good history on the last frost date I would appreciate that as well.
Warm regards and blessings to the seedlings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil blocks-ABC's and recipes

Hi there! Detailed information about soil blocks and soil blocking mix recipes can be found at PottingBlocks.com click the 'Blocking Mix' button on the top of the home page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Soil Blocks

o

I'm using the blockers for the first time here, too. I've been referencing Eliot Coleman's recipe for the blocks, but have not been able to find a few of the ingredients here, so I've had to make substitutions. I haven't been doing it long enough to say whether the mix is "successful" or not, though. The blocks are forming well, but that's all I can report at this point. :)

o

@Greencubes: thank you I will look up the book.
@Macky77: thank you. I read your other post re: the seed locks as well.

o

Making some blocks for the first time tonight using the micro 20. I'm using Eliot Colemans recipe with Azomite instead of glacial rock dust. The ingredients are tough to find. I have not seen any info on planting depth for the micro 20. I am planting spinach in the micro 20 dimple which usually go 1/4 inch deep. Should be interesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here