Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Using Tin Cans for seedling protection

Posted by whiteoakian 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 5, 10 at 9:51

Hi all

I have saved a bunch of my tin cans to use as seedling protectors as I plant them out. My question is, will the seedlings get enough sun if I use tin cans to protect them? I was planning on using these on my pren seedlings and tomatoes. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Using Tin Cans for seedling protection

What are you trying to protect them from?

Keriann~

o

I am a little confused too. What are you trying to protect them from? Are you trying to create a shelter to harden them off? Is so, I have never heard of this. Please explain more!

Sarah

o

If it's for cutworm protection, I would remove the bottoms so you have just a cylinder and cut it down the side with tinsnips so that (with gloves) you could spread the can a little to remove it after the stem is big and too tough for worms.

o

Yes indeed a common practice up here on the windy prairie. Cans with both ends removed used as a sleeve for wind and cut worms, you will have plenty of sun for growth. I still have 3 lb coffee cans I use for tomatoes. As a side effect it makes watering very easy and contained.

Curt:-)

o

I also use large coffee cans with both ends cut out for wind protection for my tomatoes. They seem to do better with the coffee cans than with other methods I've tried.

o

Thanks for all the responses. trying to keep the rabbits and cut worms off my seedlings. I only have soup cans; don't do coffee, but I think I'll try rock guy's suggestion of the tin snips to widen them. I'm glad they'll still get plenty of sun.
Thanks all!
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here