Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you plant your seeds by the moon?

Posted by grittymitts 7/8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 10:00

Wondering how many of you plant your seeds by the signs of
the moon & how many don't. Would love to hear of your successes and failures.

Thanks,
Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you plant your seeds by the moon?

I do all my planting during the day and never notice the phase of the moon. Generally I plant whenever I get the urge. Al

o

Same here. I plant when transplants are ready, the weather is cooperative, and I have the time. Never give a thought to the cycle of the moon.

Dave

o

My Aunt got her hair cut according to the moons. I plant according to my calendar and trial & error and when I have time. I have a journal with all my start dates and transplant dates. I do not own a calendar with the moon phases.

o

Apparently there is a right and wrong time to cut your grass too. Depends if you make your living cutting grass or if it is a huge chore, as to what is 'right' and 'wrong' though.

o

I can't plant my seeds by the moon, it's too far away.

o

Planting by the moon is not as daft as it sounds. If you're in NY in March and you can see the moon at night that means it's clear, so could be cold. You could of course also check out the weather forecast...

o

I don't plant my seeds by the moon.

I do plant my seeds by the mood.

If I am not in the mood, they don't get planted. If I get in the mood too early they get planted early. It's better than getting in the mood too late but it takes more work and more room.

o

I plant seeds in the fall and more of the same in the spring-some can survive the winter-others can't and some just drop seed and surprise me with their ability to grow all winter!

o

"Do you plant your seeds by the moon?"

Oh, good heavens (pun intended) no.

o

• Posted by gjcore 5 South Aurora Co. (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 17:53

tommyr said "I can't plant my seeds by the moon, it's too far away."

LOL

o

I read about it in this years farmer's almanac. I thought I'd give it try and forgot about it. I have already planted lots of stuff. And, I was able to retrace my sowings on a few of my plantings and I did notice better than expected results twice. No way to tell if it means anything, but I am curious to try to keep track in what I do in the future. Hey, if it looks like it helps, I'll do it. I am just afraid it is too limiting. I fight the weather as it is, much less trying to plant with the moon too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here