Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil for starting seedlings

Posted by jennieboyer 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 10:03

Hi All,

I learned a hard lesson this year with my peppers. I had them in peat pots and a seed starting soil. They barely survived long enough for me to discover they should not be in peat pots and they needed a different soil. They are now in plastic cups with orchid mix and are very happy.

I'm wondering about the soil I should use for my tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, etc. Would the orchid soil work for them or do I need something else? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil for starting seedlings

Buy a bag of seed starting mix. I like Pro-Mix but it comes in big bags. Look for something that has peat and perlite.

o

I use Pro-Mix BX.

o

Two stages to growing seedlings - germination and then growing on. Under some conditions different mixes are used for the 2 stages. So when you title your post with "starting seedlings" it isn't clear which stage you are talking about.

You mention "a seed starting soil". Which brand? Seed starting soil is what many use with no problems so your problems may not be the stuff you used at all. The peat pots or any of several other issues may be the cause.

Orchid mix is a good growing mix but the bark fines it contains can be problematic for germination and it can be expensive.

ProMix is the most frequently recommended germination and growing mix. I use it too. But it can be difficult to find in some locations. The next best IMO is Metro Mix 360. Not that I am recommending it but many use nothing more than green bag Miracle Grow for both germination and growing on.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here