Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Weed and Feed Kill Grass Seed?

Posted by teagan2007 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 10:18

I have a high traffic lawn from having two dogs. I used a very expensive grass seed for high traffic area's and then put town Scotts weed and feed turf builder not knowing that you were not supposed to put it down when seeding. I spend a lot of money on the seed and want to know if it is still possible that grass will grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Weed and Feed Kill Grass Seed?

The whole idea of using a Weed and Feed product at all is to prevent the germination of seeds. The pre-emergent doesn't know if they are grass seed or weed seeds, darn it all.

o

I am not that familiar with "Weed and Feed" but assumed it was a broad leaf weed killer designed for weeds like dandylion with broad leaves to take in the product. Fertilizer is included to make it a combination product. If is is a pre-emergent seed germination preventer it is news to me. Read the label on the package to find out. Al

o

• Posted by ilsa 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 11:41

teagan - yes. You can't mix Weed & Feed w/ grass seed. *heavy sigh* - it was a "life lesson", I guess, but it threw me off an entire season.

Ilsa

o

Actually I a somewhat new to this growing my own lawn thing mysel and have huge prblems with weeds. A month ago I put don weed and feed at the same time as putting down new seed (all scotts brand) and here I am a month later with all kinds of new pretty grass coming up everywhere and no new weeds coming up. I pulled the majority of the weeds out first and then carefully selectivly sprayed the foxtails and crabgrass with roundup. So far this has worked for me so don't give up. Make sure the soil is always some what moist and your grass seed will still grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here