Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting sunflowers

Posted by the_pumpkin_queen z7 Arkansas (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 10:20

My first batch of sunflower seedlings are about 2 wks old and about 3" high and getting their 2nd set of leaves. When should I transplant them into larger pots....and then into the ground?
I planted them in one of those Jiffy Greenhouses in the weebity plastic 6 pks. and germinated them outside in the sun. (Incase that makes a difference.)
Many thanx,
Jessi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting sunflowers

If you are planning on growing any in containers I'd transplant those when roots start showing out of the drainage holes. I'd wait until it's warm enough outside to plant the ones you want in the yard instead of transplanting twice.
Karyn

o

Its plenty warm enough now to plant outside Thats where they have been in their "greenhouse". They have been out from under the cover for about 4 days. I have already seen roots thru the drainage holes but the 2nd sets of leaves have not fully devloped yet.

o

I'd go ahead and plant them in the garden if all danger of frost has passed. I think most seedlings do better when they are transplanted asap. I'm jealous. I'm still a month away from putting most of my seedlings in the ground : (
Karyn

o

I'm closer to two months away!:[

o

Zone maps will have to be redrawn soon. I'm going to be in the ground by mid April. One more week and my second cold frame will be ready, hot frame if I add a light. It's getting too crowded in the kitchen window/workshop lite shelves. Central Mn.

o

• Posted by parad0x Z7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 15:28

I thought sunflowers disliked transplanting and don't do well if ya try?

Todd In Philly

o

Mine do fine. I wintersow them thickly in milk jugs and just transplant them in clusters of 2 or 3.

Slugs love them, though, and apparently squirrels too. Will munch them right down to the ground! So, I leave them in the milk jug until they're as big as possible to reduce the danger of having them disappear on me after planting out. Then, I surround each cluster of seedlings with a product called Slug Stop (soapy stuff in a tube like toothpaste).

Kristin

o

My sunflowers are inside and are getting very BIG!! A couple are already over a foot tall. They are in 2 liter bottles. I am over a month away from getting them in the ground. Do they stand a chance or should I just start new ones? Too anxious for the nice weather I guess!!

o

Oh how I love the Gardenweb! My sunflower seedlings are about 4 inches tall and I'm trying to wait a little longer to put them in the ground. Last year the squirrels pulled up all my seedlings....even those that were getting large. Darn! Sunflowers are soooo wonderful in the garden.

o

My Sunflower starts are all leggy so my question is, can I bury them deeper into the outdoor soil? Now that the frost warnings are past, plan to sow some seeds directly outside in between the starter ones.

o

Do sunflowers need hardening off?

o

Did anyone respond to the question about planting them deeper? I want to cover at least 5 inches of leggy stem - will it rot?

o

Mine are always leggy when I transplant them, so when I plant them outside I bury them to about 1" below the lowest leaves. I'm not even sure that's the right thing to do, but it seems to work ok =)

o

do you ever leave avacodo pits for the squirrels?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here