Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_pumpkin_queen

Transplanting sunflowers

the_pumpkin_queen
17 years ago

My first batch of sunflower seedlings are about 2 wks old and about 3" high and getting their 2nd set of leaves. When should I transplant them into larger pots....and then into the ground?

I planted them in one of those Jiffy Greenhouses in the weebity plastic 6 pks. and germinated them outside in the sun. (Incase that makes a difference.)

Many thanx,

Jessi

Comments (14)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

If you are planning on growing any in containers I'd transplant those when roots start showing out of the drainage holes. I'd wait until it's warm enough outside to plant the ones you want in the yard instead of transplanting twice.
    Karyn

• the_pumpkin_queen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Its plenty warm enough now to plant outside Thats where they have been in their "greenhouse". They have been out from under the cover for about 4 days. I have already seen roots thru the drainage holes but the 2nd sets of leaves have not fully devloped yet.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'd go ahead and plant them in the garden if all danger of frost has passed. I think most seedlings do better when they are transplanted asap. I'm jealous. I'm still a month away from putting most of my seedlings in the ground : (
    Karyn

• nygardener
    17 years ago

I'm closer to two months away!    : [

• deweymn
    17 years ago

Zone maps will have to be redrawn soon. I'm going to be in the ground by mid April. One more week and my second cold frame will be ready, hot frame if I add a light. It's getting too crowded in the kitchen window/workshop lite shelves. Central Mn.

• parad0x
    17 years ago

I thought sunflowers disliked transplanting and don't do well if ya try?

Todd In Philly

• coondog123
    16 years ago

My sunflowers are inside and are getting very BIG!! A couple are already over a foot tall. They are in 2 liter bottles. I am over a month away from getting them in the ground. Do they stand a chance or should I just start new ones? Too anxious for the nice weather I guess!!

• spinachqueen
    15 years ago

Oh how I love the Gardenweb! My sunflower seedlings are about 4 inches tall and I'm trying to wait a little longer to put them in the ground. Last year the squirrels pulled up all my seedlings....even those that were getting large. Darn! Sunflowers are soooo wonderful in the garden.

• charlene71
    14 years ago

My Sunflower starts are all leggy so my question is, can I bury them deeper into the outdoor soil? Now that the frost warnings are past, plan to sow some seeds directly outside in between the starter ones.

• greenwood85
    14 years ago

Do sunflowers need hardening off?

• ladydi299
    11 years ago

Did anyone respond to the question about planting them deeper? I want to cover at least 5 inches of leggy stem - will it rot?

• Lynne Reno
    11 years ago

Mine are always leggy when I transplant them, so when I plant them outside I bury them to about 1" below the lowest leaves. I'm not even sure that's the right thing to do, but it seems to work ok =)

• steilberg
    10 years ago

do you ever leave avacodo pits for the squirrels?

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz