Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get lantana seeds to grow?

Posted by siam_cannas 13 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 10:26

Hi, everyone, im new to this forum. I have tried to grow lantana seeds produced by my lantana plants. But they never grow. I live in the caribbean and here there is a wild species variety of lantana that grows from seeds easily.
How do i get the hybrid canna seeds to grow? do they need to be cold stratified?
Thanks for your help,
Siam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get lantana seeds to grow?

Lantana = soak seed for 12 hours & apply fungicide to seed/soil lightly cover seed soil temp for germination 70-75F taking 40-60 days to germinate
Canna = nick seed & soak in water for 24 hours then light covver soil temp 75-80F germination time 8-60

o

Agree. Also linked some previous discussions here on growing Lantana you could read through for more info. There are also several discussions on growing canna from seed the search will pull up for you if interested.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing lantana from seed discussions

o

Hi, digdirt and yiorges, thanks so much for your help with the lantana seeds info. Im going to try some tonight.
I hybridize cannas, so i know how to get them to grow, im usually on the brugmansia forum.
Ive never had luck with the lantana seeds, going to try them this way.
Do the lantana seeds grow true to type or not? as with cannas only the species varieties grow true to type.
should i expect different looking lantana plants or smimilar to the parent plants?
Thanks again so much for your help, i really apprecite it,
Siam.

o

Do they need to be dried seeds or still green I didn't know what they were because other lantana didn't have single one on it.

o

I read you want to collect the seeds after they turn black.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive some places

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here