Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too much humidity?

Posted by katiesommer NE (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 10:46

How can I tell if there is too much humidity in my seed starting system?

Just started 32 yesterday, in cells, and covered with a large plastic bag and put it on my heat source. Now it's so humid in there that there is water dripping down the inside of the bag.

Should I vent it a bit? How much humidity is too much?

Thanks,
Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too much humidity?

Hi Katie,

Yes, if water is dripping down the inside of the bag, your growing medium is too wet. You should see just a very light mist on the bag. Remove the cover until the medium dries out a bit.

If your ‘heat source’ is an electric heat mat, you probably should use some kind of cover over the seeds (you don’t want the heat mat trying to heat the entire room). Otherwise, if you’re home enough to make sure the growing medium doesn’t dry out completely, you may find it easier to not even use a cover. Many folks don’t use covers. Some seeds germinate so quickly anyway, fooling with covers is almost a waste of time :-)

Art

o
RE: Too much humidity?

Thanks so much, Art. I appreciate it. I will take the cover off tonight and see what happens.

Katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here