Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old seeds reduce plant vigor?

Posted by scott_home Austin TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 10:49

Hi all,

I know old seeds have reduced germination rate. Does it also reduce the vigor of the plants after they germinate?

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old seeds reduce plant vigor?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 14:44

Not necessarily and if it did then all we seed savers as well as the worldwide seed banks would be in big trouble. :)

Seriously, most studies appear to show that once germination occurs then the vigor of the plant is tied to the growing conditions it is provided than it is to the age of the seed itself.

Simply put - if it is good enough to germinate, it is good enough to grow.

Dave

o

• Posted by ZachS z5 Littleton, CO (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 20:07

Inside the seed is packaged just the bare essentials for getting a plant through "activation" and germination. After that, just as Dave said, vigor is dependent on conditions.

o

its really not dependent on the seed once it sprouts yes it has energy stored in it for the seedlings to use that why some seeds sprout faster than other because some have more energy in them. that why when the first one sprouts on most of the bigger plant seeds you pluck the second or third out. Because that first one is the best and most vigorously bursting with energy therefore the winner.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden

o

The oldest mature seed that has grown into a viable plant was a Judean date palm seed about 2,000 years old, recovered from excavations at Herod the Great's palace on Masada in Israel. It was germinated in 2005.[4][5][6][7] Wiki

Still has a little pep, doesn't it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here