Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jr4094

Geranium starts turning yellow

JR4094
10 years ago

I have always started my geraniums indoors under lights with a heat pad. For the first time, they are turning yellow and some are dying. I have always had excellent success in the past. What am I doing wrong?

Comments (7)

• art33
    10 years ago

Hi JR,

Sorry to hear about the problem youâÂÂre having with your geraniums. Actually, without more information (and maybe a photo), it will be hard for anyone to offer any really significant suggestions.

How old are the geraniums? What kind of growing medium are they in? Have you been careful about not over-watering them? Have you added any fertilizer and if so, what kind and at what strength? What kind of lighting are you using and how far are the plants from that light? Any information like that would be helpful to those wanting to help.

Art

• JR4094
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use T5 grow lights in flats that have a wicking pad for watering. My soil is a mixture of vermiculite, perlite, peat moss. I haven't really fertilized them much. These are about 4 weeks old. In past years they are usually lush and green. I have lost my touch!

• JR4094
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I use T5 grow lights in flats that have a wicking pad for watering. My soil is a mixture of vermiculite, perlite, peat moss. I haven't really fertilized them much. These are about 4 weeks old. In past years they are usually lush and green. I have lost my touch!

{{!gwi}}

• art33
    10 years ago

JR

Actually, from the photo, they donâÂÂt really look too bad :-) However, your growing medium (vermiculite, perlite, peat moss) contains no nutrients, so adding at least some water soluble fertilizer would probably be helpful at this stage. Usually 1/4 or 1/2 of the recommended dosage is used for small plants like this.

Your T5 lights need to be about 3 or 4 inches above the plants. T8 bulbs can be kept closer than that but T5âÂÂs do get a little warmer so you have to be careful not to get so close that they can burn the plants.

If youâÂÂre pretty sure the wicking method of irrigation is not keeping the medium too wet, IâÂÂd suggest adding a little diluted water soluble fertilizer. These plants are a pretty good size so IâÂÂd probably use something like about 1/2 strength of 10-10-10 or 1/4 strength of 20-20-20.

Just my opinion of course, hope it helps,

Art

• gardenfanatic2003
    10 years ago

Yellow leaves are normally due to too wet of soil, or plants in need of fertilizer. Judging by the chlorotic appearance of the yellow leaves with green veins, I'd guess they need some fertilizer.

Deanna

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

I have grown geraniums for years and I've seen plants that look like yours before and I know it's from keeping them too wet.

Those ones that have red leaves probably have blackleg and are rotting from too much water. Your mix might be off this year and holding on to too much water. Turn off your drip and let them dry out before you lose them all.

Always err on the side of keeping geraniums too dry. They can stand periods of no water but too much is a death knell

• Jonathan29
    10 years ago

yeah someone already said it but i water my seedlings with either a 25 or 50% water soluble organic fertilizer if you want to do it every watering give them a 25% if you only want to do it once a week then do 50% strength. I invite you to join my youtube channel and ask me question watch my garden vlog and general how too's.

Here is a link that might be useful: TheItalian Garden