Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I just use sunlight?

Posted by andreajp z9 sacramentoCA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 10:53

I might be answering my own question through action...but here goes.

I recently started seeds outside in clear tubs. For the most part, we have been having warm sunny weather. I've gotten really good germination, but now the seeds aren't doing anything. It has been two weeks since they've germinated and they still haven't put on another set of leaves. What am I doing wrong?

A lot of people plant their gardens by now in my area, although I always wait until April 1.

The night time temperatures do get a bit cold, could this be the problem? Do I need to buy lights and bring my seedlings inside? What do all of you use for inexpensive lighting systems?

I should mention the seedlings are tomatoes, echinacea, rudbeckia, shasta daisies, and basil.

Thanks... :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I just use sunlight?

No you do not need to buy lights. Everything you have planted except the Tomatoes and basil are perennials and should be fine. The basil and tomatoes could benefit from a little higher nighttime temperatures. You could cover the containers with a blanket at night and remove it in the morning.

I would bring the tomatoes and basil imnside at night until you have higher nighttime temperatures.

You also might want to transplant the tomatoes into separate containers so the roots don't get entangled. I use colored 16 oz disposable glasses which have holes punched in the bottom. Sink your tomatoes into the ground up to the leaves. They will grow roots all along the stem. This action is particular to tomatoes and nothing else.

I would say the plants aren't growing because of the nighttime temperatures. The perennials are slower growing and can tolerate lower temperatures but the basil and tomatoes are tenderer plants and could do with a bit extra heat at night

o
RE: Can I just use sunlight?

The best Shastas I have are ones that I took the pack of seeds and dumped them in the garden. They have been growing great for three years now. It probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and plant the daisies. They are hardy and do best when left alone and not babied too much. I am not an expert just sharing my experience. I don't know anything about the rest if the plants you mentioned but I assume as long as they aren't getting leggy they just need some time and like the previous poster stated some more warmth at night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here