Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree seed stratification question

Posted by margo_k 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 10:58

Hi, I'm fairly new at the whole "growing from seed" thing but I want to try it!

A friend just gave me some tree seed (white fir she said) and the seed needs to stratify in cold, damp conditions for 60 days. I was going to try the "paper towel" method for stratifying the seeds but Ive read that mold can be a big problem for seeds that need to be damp that long.

Instead of regular paper towels that might get moldy could I use some of those "antibacterial wipes" or would that be bad for the seeds? Never tried them for seeds but thinking they are damp and they might reduce the chances of having moldy seeds after 60 days.

Would they work or is that a bad idea?

Thanks all!

Margo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree seed stratification question

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 20:01

I wouldn't use the wipes. Why don't you place the seeds in a couple of teaspoons of sterile moist vermiculite or sterile moist sand and put them in a small zip lock in your refrigerator. When ready to bring back to warm, sow the entire contents of the zip lock.

Or if you have time with nights cold enough, chilly days with a further temp reduction at night might give them enough time in 4-6 weeks for the moist chill, sometimes a fluctuating temperature is more helpful. Sow and place the pot outdoors.

o
RE: Tree seed stratification question

This is what I have done for seeds that need to be stratified.
Plant them in a container with damp seed starter mix.
Put the container in a plastic bag and store it in the fridge (back of the bottom shelf)
Label with the date you put it in and when to remove it. I use masking tape on the outside of the bag.
Also, mark your calendar when to remove it.
You can use any container. I like the strawberry containers because they have a lid. I put folded damp paper towel on the bottom and then the damp starter mix. Plant the seed and press them in lightly. Sprinkle a little more mix on top.
When you take it out of the fridge, keep it in a warm place until you see it has germinated. This can take a long time. I remember one time I did this - it wasn't until the middle of July before I saw anything growing.

I don't know anything about white fir tree seed. Maybe someone out there can help you with that.

Best wishes for successful growing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here