Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leggy Eggplant Seedlings

Posted by homegardenpa PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 10:58

Ok, so I'm new to growing Eggplant and I managed to sprout a good few of them (Rosa Bianca), but they came up much later than my other tomato seedlings. I got more plants this year than I originally planned for, so room under the lights was sparse. I left them out a little too long and some of them have gotten a bit leggy - not terribly so, but leggy nonetheless.

What I'm wondering is, now that I've cleared out some extra plants (given them away to family / friends) I have room again so the leggy-ness should taper off, can I pot-up the eggplants a little to reduce some of the stem height? I've searched all over the place, but all of the answers I've seen are mixed. Some things I've read say that you can pot up a little bit, but don't cover any of the leaves, other things I've read say, don't pot up at all, but don't give any reasoning as to why.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leggy Eggplant Seedlings

Most plants like to be planted at the relatively same depth as they grew in. That means they can go a bit lower but not much. Tomatoes planted deeper will grow roots along their stem but most plants don't do that and you run the danger of the stem rotting.

Do you have more than 1 light? Could you devote one light to your eggplant so you can have it higher than is needed for your other plants? If so I would stake your leggy plants and get them under the lights. Once they have enough light the stem will thicken

o
RE: Leggy Eggplant Seedlings

While increasing light will undoubtedly help, in my experience any plant in the Solancaea (sp?) family -- tomatoes, eggplants, peppers -- can be transplanted a bit deeper than the original soil line. Tomatoes are a bit more tolerant of this, but eggplants can also survive such a move.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here